Thursday, May 26, 2005

Li'l Herman... my new Coton de Tulear

5/29/05

My Bichons won't let me touch them with a brush... the groomer says they're so well behaved for her that I can't imagine it... his hair is wiry curly and the brushing makes it a little straighter... the ones in the pictures have been brushed to death obviously, but I can see why he needs to be brushed as it would definitely get matted easily if you didn't... I got a dog brush for Christmas from my brother and hadn't taken it out of the package as I knew I'd never brush the Bichons... so glad I kept it as it's perfect for li'l Herman... it's strong and when you are finished, you push a button in the middle and the bristles retract so all the hair is released. Bichons have a silky feel and he's got a totally different feeling coat... almost like velcro. Li'l Herman ain't afraid of nuthin'! It's amazing how he just fitted himself right in... lots of confidence... the poor little white dog of unknown origin I rescued hid in my store for two days before coming and poking her head into the doggie door into the house to see if it was okay for her to come in... I took her turkey and everything I could think of to try to lure her out but she had to ease herself in on her own terms. She regressed a little when Herman arrived as she felt displaced but I've been giving her special attention too and now she's lying right up against me again... she's at my back and Herman at my front and the cat comes up on her side and meows for attention... the other four just loll about enjoying their old age... every once in a while, they'll come up and ask for a little petting and scratching but I didn't realize how independent they are until I lost Spuds who was hogging all the attention.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: Emailing: coton-country
Looking at the pic of the Coton de Tulear breed explains why Li'l Herman's hair has some gray patches, especially on the ears. Is his hair straight? The pic of the Coton looks straight- maybe that's just adult show coat.

My little foster girl, Janie, looks so much like him in the face. I know she's Bichon but she has the same expression. I wish she were outgoing and not scared though.

5/26/05

Li'l Herman is definitely a good watch dog with a good loud bark if he hears
something outside... he's "interested" in the cat but I've told him she's
not a squirrel and he's made no attempt to chase her and she doesn't seem to
realize there's yet another dog in her life... they all look the same to her
I guess. She was up on the bed purring and getting petted while Sugar and
Herman were lying right up against me... the web says they only need bathing
twice a year but I doubt that... they're supposed to be brushed two or three
times a week but not scissored so my groomer will have an easy job...


One of the rarest breeds, the Coton de Tulear comes from Madagascar, where
the breed was originally restricted to ownership by royalty. Later, the
social elite were allowed to own the breed, but it is still known as the
Royal Dog of Madagascar. The dog is named after the island's port city of
Tulear, and called Coton because of its cottonlike hair.
A small dog with dark eyes, long lashes and lots of charm, the Coton has a
winning smile. Its coat is long, dry, oil- and dander-free, and has no doggy
odor, so it is a good choice for allergy sufferers. It is kept tangle-free
by brushing or combing several times a week, and shedding is minimal. Color
varies from white, white with champagne highlights and a dusting of black
hairs, to white with a few yellow or gray patches.
The Coton stands 10 to 12 inches at the withers and weighs from 12 to 15
pounds. The breed is said to be intelligent and affectionate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home