Thursday, May 26, 2005

Lil' Herman's Arrival

My li'l Herman is attached to me at the hip already... he's so SMART... already figured out the three doggie door system and if I have to get up out of my chair, he's back up on the chair before I can sit down to make sure he's right there to sit with me... what a little charmer! I've wanted a coton de tulear so badly and now I have one!

He was excited to see me as soon as I got him at the airport as if he knew... I put a leash on him and he had a pee and then sat on my lap all the way to the store... alternating between looking curiously at everything out the window and lying his head down on my lap... I imagine he was tired from his trip but he was still excited about all the buildings and cars... guess he knew he was in Las Vegas... I'll have to take him down to the Strip to see all the lights. He and the other dogs had no problems at all and he peed twice in the yard and then peed in the store as well to mark it and when we came over to the house, peed here too so I told him that was it... that everything was marked now! He's so smart that I do believe he knew what was happening this morning and you must have been so sad... I had to drive one of my Bichon pups to the Union Plaza hotel to go to a friend of mine in Santa Fe and it was all I could do to keep from just turning around and heading back home with her. I sort of suspected from the description that Li'l Herman might be a coton de tulear but was positive as soon as I saw him... his hair has a very different consistency from a bichon's but of course, they're closely related... some of the stuff I've read say they only need a bath twice a year but I'd be surprised at that since my Bichons get dirty in a couple of weeks... we'll see... I and everyone I know thinks of him as Li'l Herman so I think that's what he'll stay for sure.

Thank you, David, for sharing him with me... now that I see what a sweetie he is and so gentle, I can imagine how much you miss him... and Augie too... I swear they know what's going on more than we give them credit for. I'll definitely keep you updated...

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Shortcut to: http://www.molalla.net/coton-country/

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 2:28 PM
Subject: Fwd: Lil' Herman's Arrival


Hi Wayne,
I was so glad to hear Herman made it to you in good shape. I couldn't help but worry about him and all the commotion he was experiencing. I know he will settle in pretty quick with you and your clan of fluffs. I had him a little less than 5 weeks total and he acted more at home every day.
Augie Doggie was even warming up to him, except he still didn't much care to be in the same bed with Herman (Herman likes to own whatever free space there is, so Augie just goes and sleeps in the closet). However, they would eat and drink out of the same bowls, romp in the back yard, and go for car rides like best of buds. And just like Augie, whenever I brought out the leash, he was just beside himself with excitement of going somewhere... anywhere. Herman still liked to take any toy from Augie if Augie showed an interest in it.
Yesterday, in general, was pretty gloomy, yet at the same time happy around here... knowing it was Lil' Herman's last day here, but knowing he was heading to a permanent home with you. I had really gotten attached to the little guy. I believe Herman was probably picking up on the vibe also, as last night in bed, he was stuck to me like never before. I couldn't move without moving him first, and even stranger yet was that Augie slept the whole night in bed with us. Almost like he knew he was saying goodbye to Herman. And to top off last nights' strangeness, on the way to the airport this morning, it was still dark outside and Herman was lying down in the front seat totally relaxed and still, and I was petting him, when all of a sudden, he got up and crawled into my lap and started barking. We were about 3 miles from the airport when that happened, and I couldn't help but feel that he telling me goodbye, speaking to me the only way he knew how.
Lil' Herman was the first dog I ever fostered and hopefully won't be the last (however, I'll have to get better at sending them off to a new life). By the way, feel free to rename him if you'd like. His name when I took him in was Turner, which I didn't think fit his looks. About three weeks before I even thought of fostering a dog, I got the name Herman stuck in my head for some reason and couldn't stop thinking about it. It's sort of a case when you get a tune in you head and can't quit singing or humming it... for days or weeks. Sort of haunting-like. Well when I first laid eyes on Turner, I knew instantly, right then and there he was a "Herman"... he looked like a Herman, with his gray ears and weird eye pigments, a little clownish in a good way. That's how he became known as Herman, but if you don't like the name, it's no offense to me if you change it.
Wayne, I wish you and Herman, and your other pooches all the joy and happiness possible, and hope he can help soothe your heart after the loss of your other fluff. The little guy really left his paw print on my heart... just like I know he also will on your heart. I think that is his mission here on Earth. He is so full of love for humans, you can see it in his little soul when looking deep into his eyes... it's incredible. If you ever get a chance, I'd would be so grateful for an occasional update on how you all are doing (I'd love to see a picture of him once his coat is fully grown out and groomed. I bet he'll be more adorable than ever... if that's possible). I know you'll take good care of my Lil' Herman... and he'll take good care of you. Thank you for opening your home and heart to him.
Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home